The Glasgow congregation was first formed following meetings that were held in the Partick Burgh Halls during the early 1970s. A small building was leased in the Knightswood area and the Glasgow Church officially came into being under the ministry of Miss Mary Black.
The current building, a large classical yellow-sandstone building with imposing Ionic columns in Westbourne Gardens, Hyndland, was purchased in late 1993, and was an enormous difference from the former Knightswood 'hut'. Formerly the Belhaven Westbourne Free Presbyterian Church, and latterly owned by the Westbourne Revival Church, the church was bought for a remarkably small amount and the Glasgow congregation moved in on January 1994.
The church was designed in 1873 by John Honeyman, a partner of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and contains large stained-glass windows by Alfred Webster and Douglas Strachan. A large war memorial is located outside the front of the church.
Miss Mary Black ministered until her untimely death on 13th September 2004. A memorial stained window dedicated to Miss Black was installed in the main vestibule in January 2006. Mrs Alison Speirs is the current minister.
In addition to the normal weekly meetings, the Glasgow Church is used every Saturday night at 7.30pm for a large gathering from all branches of the Struthers Movement.
- The address is : 52 Westbourne Gardens, Glasgow, G12 9XF
- Google Map