Statement of Belief
Struthers Memorial church is an Independent Pentecostal Fellowship founded in the early 1950's It has grown from a small house group of less than a dozen people based in the town of Greenock in the West of Scotland to a group of churches with branches in Scotland, England and Wales. We believe in:
- The inspiration of scripture
- The need for personal Salvation through faith in Christ
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit with signs following
- The need for holiness in the church and in the individual lives of the believers
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit as listed in 1 Cor 12: wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues, interpretation
- The ministry of deliverance
Our aim: The extension of the Kingdom of God in obedience to His will and direction, and the fulfilment of His purposes in our individual lives.
Pastor Diana Rutherford moved out to Cumbernauld in 1985 and began a Cumbernauld branch of Struthers Church in 1986 along with her husband. Saved and Baptised in the Holy Spirit as a teenager, Diana has always had a real drive for the gospel! The work in Cumbernauld began as a house meeting, which quickly grew, eventually leading to the opening of our building in 1997 (see below).
Diana's pastoral heart is evident in the time and energy she pours into the work, and the hours spent in one to one ministry. Her burning vision is to see many souls won for Jesus Christ, and that all things be done to the glory of God. She is loved, and well respected for her uncompromising teaching of scripture and her zeal for God's house. Graham, her husband, plays a pivotal role in the Church. They have three sons who all support the work and are heavily involved in the youth work.
Cumbernauld Church Origins
Struthers Church Cumbernauld started as a small house group in the late 1980’s. It has grown into a thriving church based in the Abronhill area of Cumbernauld with satellite house groups in Airdrie, Coatbridge and Motherwell.
We originally met as a house group, and then as the congregation grew we hired local community rooms and schools to hold the meetings. In 1997, we bought some land in the Larch Road area of Abronhill and had constructed our own purpose built church, which included facilities for Sunday schools, Creche and a Coffee Shop. The building was dedicated on 15 May 1997.
Our members consist of a wide range of ordinary people, from all ages and different backgrounds. Whoever you are, you will be made very welcome.
New Year Word
Struthers Memorial Group of Churches is an Independent Pentecostal Fellowship which has been in existence since the early 1950's. Early on in the history of the Movement, one of its founders, Mr Hugh Black, began to realise that at the time of the New Year there was often a sermon preached which came with deep power and contained an element of prophetic wisdom for the year that lay ahead. Soon members of the church began to anticipate this word coming and a note of these specific words has been kept since the mid-1960s.
In the early years of Struthers Church, the word was given by God to Miss Elizabeth Taylor, co-founder of the Struthers Group of Churches but in later years the word came through the late minister of the Glasgow Church, Miss Mary Black. In 2002 and later years, the Word was given by Mrs. Grace Gault, who is now in charge of the Group of Churches.